The Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) is a professional association for supporters of non-profit donor human milk banking.
HMBANA promotes the health of babies and mothers through the provision of safe pasteurized donor milk and support of breastfeeding.
It was founded in 1985 to:
- Develop guidelines for donor human milk banking practices in North America
- Provide a forum for information sharing among experts in the field on issues related to donor milk banking
- Provide information to the medical community regarding use of donor milk
- Encourage research into the unique properties of human milk for therapeutic and nutritional purposes
- Act as a liaison between member banks and governmental agencies
- Facilitate communication among member banks to assure adequate distribution of donor milk
- Facilitate the establishment of new donor milk banks in North America using HMBANA standards.